Saturday, November 19, 2016

Read the interview with a singer. Then decide if the statements are true (T) or false (F).
   You recently went to Greece to play with a band - how did that happen?
Shortly before I finished university, I got a call from a bass player living in Greece who wanted a singer for the summer. They were playing in a bar in a beautiful harbour town. He got my number from my singing teacher, who couldn't do it. He thought it would be a great opportunity for me to gain confidence and to sing somewhere else than in London bars. It was something I jumped at - a few days later I was on the plane. It was quite spontaneous!
   Well, the best things usually are. Was singing away from London something you had always wanted to do?
To be honest, I'd never really thought about it before. It was perfect timing though, as I didn't have a clue what I was going to do after finishing my studies. It was a fantastic opportunity I couldn't miss. Plus, I can't say that I was sad to leave behind the smoky bars of London for a while! Since then, I've also played in Venice and toured around Italy and Germany. I think my time spent in Greece gave me the confidence to do this, though.      ,
  Well, I can believe that. How did you find the change of atmosphere - going from London bars to Greek ones?
It was great. Greece was breathtaking - beautiful mountains and flowers as far as the eye could see. The weather was great, too. It's much nicer spending evenings outside by the sea than in a smelly pub in the middle of London. I think the people were a bit more relaxed, too -not stressed by the fast city life like those I sing to at home. I also found the audiences more attentive in Greece, which did wonders for my confidence as a singer.
  Did the time you spent away teach you anything else?
It taught me that I could go away from home on my own and be able to cope. I'd never been away from home for more than two weeks before and always with friends or family, so I grew up a lot while I was away. It was a positive experience in so many ways.


1  Before going to Greece, Kate had fixed plans for her future.
    2  Kate enjoyed the atmosphere in Greece.
3 Her stay in Greece encouraged Kate to travel more.
4 Kate thought a lot about accepting the offer to go to Greece.
5 Thanks to her stay in Greece, Kate became more independent.
6              6 Kate was recommended to the band by a friend.
   7  Kate was a little unhappy about leaving London.
8 People in Greece listened to Kate's songs carefully and with interest.

    9 Kate was offered the job in Greece for one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment